Saturday, January 8, 2011

140 Days...til Graduation!

I can't believe it is so close to graduation! I am getting excited but am oh so nervous. I have so far to go still though...good times!

I have been doing my audition rotation in Columbus. It has been great. However, I am still not 100% set on OB so we shall see. I have three more weeks to finalize my match list. I am also starting to feel bad about not applying to certain programs. Anyways, these past few weeks have been a good learning experience if nothing else. I have seen some interesting things i.e. an external cephalic version done when a patient was in labor whose baby was breech (it was successful and she had a vaginal birth, leaving both mom and baby happy!) and a ruptured uterus. The hospital I am at has a lower c-section rate I think (there has only been 3 or 4 there since I have been there) so that's good at least. The ruptured uterus was crazy to see! We had a patient who had two previous c-sections who was scheduled for a third. She had been really sick for about a week and a half before she was scheduled and had a severe cough. When the doctor got through the peritoneum the baby was right there in the sack, NO UTERUS! It was very scary for everyone. They got the baby out and mom started bleeding a lot. They found the upper uterine segment attached to the abdominal wall and the lower attached to the bladder. Taking that down and reattaching the two ends was very interesting. They got everything under control and closed. It is so scary to think what would have happened if she would have went into labor. That baby right there. The uterus didn't bleed before because it was so scared. So, needless to say, it was an amazing experience. I was very happy mom and baby were okay. They think that maybe it ruptured during the week when she was coughing so hard. I've also gotten to see some neat surgeries! Now all I have to decide is what to do..what to do...what to do??

No comments:

Post a Comment